Stock and Other Assets
Give Securities (stock)
Giving securities is a wonderful gift that can help you avoid capital gains tax. Stock gifts to the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology are handled by the Western Dominican Province Advancement Office and will be transferred to the school from the province.
- Contact your broker and request they transfer a specific number of shares from a specific company to the “Province of the Holy Name” (see below). They may request a letter from you to authorize the transfer. For your convenience, click here for a letter you can fill out and use for your letter of authorization.
- Give your broker the following transfer information:
- Account Name: Province of the Holy Name – Gift Account
- Tax ID: 94-6081023
- DTC: 902 (or 0902)
- Account #: B41713003
- Credit Account #: P72500
- Reference: [Donor’s Name Here]
- Brokerage Firm: JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. | 270 Park Ave, New York, NY 10017
- Send notice of your transfer by letter or email to Bryan Fegley, our Senior Director of Advancement. This is to ensure transfers are not unidentified and directed where you indicate. You can reach him at (510) 596-1861 or at email@example.com. Please tell him a) the company and b) the number of shares you plan to transfer, and where you’d like to direct your gift.
- You’ll be notified and thanked when the gift has been received by our office.
If you are transferring stock from a joint account, both account owners may need to authorize the transfer. You can contribute stock from several companies held within the same account.
Please check with your broker soon after authorizing the transfer to ensure that the transfer is complete, especially if you initiate this gift shortly before December 31.
Keep in mind, transfers of securities can sometimes take multiple days. It is recommended you initiate transfers well before any important tax dates, such as December 31.
Note: it is the general policy of the Western Dominican Province to sell donated stock upon receipt, then direct the proceeds as you’ve designated.
Give Real Estate
Giving real estate can offer significant tax benefits. You can even continue to use donated land while you’re still living.
For more information on how to give real estate, please visit the Planned Giving page.
Make an In-kind Gift
Gifts-in-kind are appreciated, and can supply the province with important equipment, tools, supplies, and valuables, such as computers, cameras, art or books, quality vehicles, and other materials helpful to our mission of preaching.
Basic Acceptance Policy
All gifts-in-kind are reviewed, accepted and officially acknowledged. Prior to acceptance, the gift is reviewed to see if it meets province needs. The Province of the Most Holy Name reserves the right to decline any gift that does not further the province’s goals or may involve special maintenance or other conditions the province would be unable to satisfy. The donor is responsible for making arrangements to deliver the gift. Additional approvals may be required for works of art.
The province does not provide gift valuation. In accordance with Internal Revenue Service regulations, the donor is responsible for determining the value of an accepted gift. If the estimated value of the gift exceeds $5,000, then a qualified appraisal is required by the IRS to substantiate a donor’s charitable deduction for gifts-in-kind. Province employees and volunteers are not qualified appraisers, and federal regulations do not permit the province to give appraisals or estimates of value.
For taxation details, see IRS Publication 526.
Disclaimer: the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology and the Western Dominican Province does not advise on any personal income tax requirements or issues. Use of any information from this site or any other website referred to is for general information only and does not represent personal tax advice either express or implied. You are encouraged to seek professional tax advice for personal income tax questions and assistance.